SC - Cuskynoles - Another Recipe

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Sun Apr 30 16:57:22 PDT 2000

One thing you may have noticed:  when quatities of spices *are* mentioned
in period recipes, it looks like a ridiculously large amount.  It is.
Their spices weren't very potent. (this is corroborated by explorers'
surprise at the flavors when they reached the Spice Islands)  As a friend
once told me, "These things were put in hide bags and transported on the
back of an animal for months, then put on a leaky boat for more months.
Care to guess what happened to the essential oils?"

If you want everything to taste good, worry less about how they
transported it and look instead at the physical conditions you have to
deal with--heat, humidity, wind, rain, marauding drunks.  Screw top jars
are fine and medieval people would have killed for them.  Come to think
of it, they'd kill for our quality of spices.

Morgana