SC - Rabbit tips?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 1 12:51:44 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain asked:
> I thought I'd experiment tonight, and I suspect I'll be redacting a rabbit
> recipe.  Any hints or suggestions?  I've eaten rabbit at feat, but never
> cooked it.  This will be domesticated rabbit (I assume), bought from the
> Asian grocery, not wild, if that makes a difference.  Also, the two
> recipes I'm considering both cook the rabbit twice: one fries it, then
> stews it; the other roasts, then fries it.

Rabbit tips? Are these like sirloin tips, but a bit smaller? :-)

It sounds like you already have your recipes picked out (redacted?) but
the recipes in this file in the FOOD section of my files might give you
some sources of how other recipes cook rabbits:
rabbit-dishes-msg (37K)  4/ 2/99    Period rabbit and hare recipes.

> And while I'm asking questions, can anyone tell me how easy it is to
> make almond milk without use of electric appliances?  At home, I use
> my blender, but I'm starting to think ahead to Pennsic, and I'm
> wondering how hard it is to do by hand under camping conditions.

It really sounds like a lot more work without an electric blender
or food processor but you might want to look at this file:
almond-milk-msg   (47K)  5/27/99    Making almond milk. Recipes.
Deskinning nuts

How about grinding the almonds to powder ahead of time and then mixing
with water or wine at Pennsic?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net