SC - molasses (longish)

Mon Apr 3 08:13:35 PDT 2000

> Unto the Gathered Cooks does Gwynydd of Culloden send the following:
>

> "Treacle - A similar product to golden syrup, but with a distinctively
> strong flavour and dark black colour.
>
> "Treacle is formulated in much the same manner as golden
> syrup except that
> the thick syrup mixture is not decolourised.

These would be what most in the US know as molasses.  We have both light and
dark molasses made most commonly from sweet sorghum, but cane molasses is
available.

> "Molasses - The black syrup remaining after the sugar syrup
> has been boiled
> and passed through the centrifugal for the last time in the mill or
> refinery.  It is strong, black, and somewhat bitter in taste."

What you call molasses is termed "blackstrap" or "blackstrap molasses" in
the US.  While it can be purchased for cooking, most blackstrap goes into
industrial alcohol and cattle feed.

Bear