SC - long-life milk

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Apr 3 19:15:50 PDT 2000

> I imagine we'll "get over _our_ paranoia" when it's proven safe.  It's
often in the news when Europeans balk at buying genetically altered
foodstuffs, too.  Why take risks when you don't have to?
> --Maire from Artemisia

    Largely because they become political footballs. Remember the Alar
scare? There are organizations who are notorious for media manipulation
(such as the Center for Science in the Public Interest, People for the
Ethical Treatment of Animals, and the Union of Concerned Scientists) which
have repeatedly engaged in outright (and ofttimes incredibly vicious) fraud
while promoting their agenda. You'll never prove anything safe to someone
who has an ideological stake in its NOT being safe.
    And all they have to do is to call a press conference to guarantee 30
seconds on all the evening news broadcasts, who are notorious for never
admitting errors. And, of course, that provokes the inevitable talking
heads, who will just confuse everyone totally. Think back over the last few
decades, how many hysterical 'health & food safety' crusades have we been
forced to endure? Red dye #2, cyclamates, Phisohex, well done meat (although
I'm inclined to agree with that one, but for entirely aesthetic reasons),
coffee (boy, THAT one went nowhere in a hurry!), and 'Got Beer?' (yes!!!!).
    A large part of why Europeans are objecting to genetically modified and
irradiated foods has to do with protecting their markets, and the political
clout carried by the eurofarmers. They have an entirely different approach
to food production, and as a result, Europeans spend a much higher
percentage of their incomes on food than do Americans. I'm not going to
argue quality, as that's just WAY too subjective, but it has a lot to do
with how food is regarded by consumers.

    Sieggy (who is heading for the bunker)