OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Mon Apr 3 22:23:37 PDT 2000

>CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

>>  I know, there are all those farm workers
>> out there, hand picking the little stamen....but why?  For the flavor it
>> imparts (and the color, for that matter), you may as well use annatto or
>> turmeric.  Or, dare I say it, buy one of those industrial sized vats of
>> Yellow #5...

Remind me never to ask you to make a saffron and honey tart.

 Don't ever suggest using an industrial sized vat of Yellow #5 for medieval
re-enactment. To do so is incorrect.  We concentrate on re-creating to the
best of our ability various recipes.  If a recipe calls for saffron, use
it. The Yellow #5 will give you the colour, but not the taste.
I had some beautiful honey and saffron tarts on Saturday (Lorix, recipe
please) and your ention of using tumeric sent shiver up and down my spine.

- -Katerine (a real saffron enthusiast)