SC - 2 REC for -Passover Eggs & chicken

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 4 04:50:22 PDT 2000

> For Passover you would omit the bread crumbs and use 6 T of
> matzoh meal instead.  Matzoh meal containing no levening agent of course.
> You _could_ use ground up matzoh in place ot the meal, just be sure it is
> ground up very fine!

Of course, you do have to be sure that you use Kosher-for-Passover matzoh,
and not regular matzoh.  The difference?  KfP matzoh is baked to quite
exacting specifications to be sure that there is absolutely no chance that
it will rise.  (Yes, plain flour and water mixed together WILL rise a bit if
you leave it to sit!)  We had quite a kerfluffle at en event I attended last
year when I innocently asked if the meal would take into account the fact
that it is Passover, mostly wanting to know whether they would offer
alternatives to grain products for the observant.  The head cook made quite
a production of making a separate meal for the observant and we got several
long reports on his adventures in getting kosher meat (even though a number
of us told him privately that there was no point, since it would immediately
become un-kosher in the school kitchen, and most of us didn't care about
that anyway) -- then of course the matzoh was not KfP and we could not eat
it!  Luckily, some of us had thought to bring out own, and we shared.

This year, I'm going to an event and not asking, just taking my matzoh and
picking around the food.  It's a different event, different group, different
everything, but I am not taking chances!

                            ---= Morgan (Jew in real life)