SC - WAS Re: saffron/NOW: Authenticity?

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Apr 4 11:31:22 PDT 2000

> Do I force my desires on them? No, I let them play their game and I play
> mine. But, when they come to a feast prepared by me, they know that they are
> getting as close to period foodstuffs as I can get. They know that  the
> clothes I wear have been researched to my time period. They  know that my
> living arrangements at camping events are my approximation of how my persona
> would live.

What "game" do they play?
If I wanted to play golf, I would not walk out into an active baseball game and put
the tee down in left field. I think I should elicit at least a little comment, no?
Would you expect the players to be utterly tolerant of this?
The SCA "Game" is Recreation as we have outlined.
If the Partyer wants to party, he needs to follow our rules, and conform to period
at least in dress, and obedience to Mundane, SCA, Kingdom, and Local Laws
and rules, right?
If the Xena Wannabe walks out into the lyst, invokes Aries, and procedes to
Kick, Yipyipyipyip!, flip, and Hyah! I think you would not expect tolerance of this
behaviour, right?
If the Tolkein Fan Dons Elf ears, and tries to insist his sword is magically
augmented, and should count for double blows in the lists, I think that there
would be little toleration, don't you?
The point is if they come to the SCA events, they tacitly agree to play the _SCA's_
"game". How much toleration they might expect will depend on the level of
departure from that game that they evidence in the SCA context.
This also goes for Non-period and "Non-European-Contact" personas.
An Amerindian persona will not be as "tolerated" in the native dress, as much
as they would if wore european garb.
There are isolated exceptions in the SCA, of course, such as  Sir Ix of the Mid,
for example, but these are usually so well researched and well documented,
that no argument can be made. in effect they are aggressively counterdocumented.
(That is extremely rare)
Oddly enough, the period examples of Amerindian Peoples at European courts
did indeed wear local european dress, and not native dress, except for specific
presentations. From the accounts I have read, the Amerindians were
fascinated with European clothes and often traded for them, even those who
did not gp to Europe.
So that is a perfectly period practice.

brandu