SC - Alternate words for Feastcrat

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Apr 4 09:47:22 PDT 2000

> > Hey, now, it isn't a horror everywhere, and don't scare him off,
> unless you are planning a trip to Texas to cook that feast for him!
> >         Christianna
> >         Feastcrat (no -o- in sight)

> But then I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned....
> Kiri

	Well, as far as being old-fashioned, that's my problem exactly.  We have
used the term here for more than 20 years, and I'm afraid I have a hard
time getting used to a 'newfangled' term.   However, we have discussed
this on the list many times, and "Kitchen Steward" has been talked about
among many other terms, but seems to get the most approval from the
crowd.
	Among the others we have discussed, here are a few:

I was just browsing through the Latin dictionary and found an amusing new
alternative to the dreaded 'feastocrat':

archimagirus

([Greek] archimagirus, i, m., = archimageiros, a chief cook, Juv. 9,
109.)

Ciao,
Lucretzia

"The word gourmet did not originate in France, but actually comes from
the
Farsi word for stew: "Ghormeh." It is believed to have been brought back
the western world by French Crusaders, impressed by the lavish feasts of
the
Middle Eastern tables."

(found at the Global Gourmet site)
Luveday/Tamara

> Does anyone have a period Spanish (or better yet, Andalusian) term
> for this?
> Claricia Nyetgale (just one of the choir, temporarily deafened <sigh>)

Ruperto de Nola, in the _Libro de Guisados_, describes 3 household
officers whose duties correspond to those of a SCA head cook.  The
first is the "despensero", the steward, who is responsible for
purchasing foodstuffs.  The second is the "cocinero", the cook, who
prepares the food (presumably with the aid of underlings).  The
third is the "trinchante", the carver, who carves the meats at the
lord's table.  Interestingly, de Nola has a long passage in which he
explains why these three officers usually cannot live in peace with
each other.  The cook blames the steward for bringing the wrong
pieces of meat, and the carver blames the cook for overcooking the
meat and making it difficult to carve properly.  Thus, he suggests
that in a well-run household, each of these officers should be
skilled in the other two jobs.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba

Hi all from Anne-Marie
I cant speak for anywhere else but An Tir, but I find it unlikely that I
can impose my will on the many cooks of this kingdom.

However, for myself, I prefer the term "cuisinier", after Meistre
Chiquart.
He was responsible for the hiring and paying of the staff, the
procurement
of the food as well as the kitchen equipment, the coordination of
visiting
cooks, the obtainment of the linen, the menu, the wine, the firewood, the
spices, the candles for the hall and just about everytying else as well
as
overseing the actual production of meals.

Just like Chiquart, when I run a kitchen, I got my mitts into EVERYTHING!
:)
- --Anne-Marie
la cuisinier to Antoine, le grand Batard de Bourgoune Bruges, 1470

> > *1362 Langl. P. Pl. A. vii. 272, I haue no salt Bacon, Ne no
Cokeneyes,
> bi Crist Colopus to maken [v.r. colopis, -es, colhoppis; B. vi. 287
coloppes;
> C. ix. 309 colhoppes].
>
> What are Cokeneyes?

Coke is an archaic form of cook.  From other translations of this
passage,
Cokeneyes appears to be the noun, cook or cooks.

Bear

The Japanese word for chef, 'itamae', literally means "in front of the
cutting
board."
Tara