SC - Re: Goodbye (RANT)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Tue Apr 4 23:35:31 PDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> have used pancake mix instead of beer batter when making frittors.
> (guilty!).

Off with his head!

> to get a pretty good list out of it after the smoke cleared. The
> posters suggestion got answered but just a bit more than was
> expected. Now if the suggestion had been in the line of "Could
> someone come up with a list of stuff a new SCA cook could use?"
> I think the answer would have been simpler.

Or if it had been for a specific time and place (I am reminded of Thora
Sharpstooths list of foods found in Viking context, sorted by region and
type). Or if it had been "what spices should one bring to
$LONGISH_CAMPING_EVENT" (I have been trying to work this one out
myself, since I "need" to make a small chest to keep X spice jars
organized: will 20 be too few?).

> Shoot, I can't come up with it either. But I've become a better historical
> cook and better SCA cook because of it. I thought I was pretty hot stuff
> when I started this and now I usually stay quiet and learn.

And I learnt to cook from recipies by doing medieval stuff. Before that
I was an extreme -- but not too shabby - seat of the pants cook.

> Please forgive me but, so? I haven't had that opportunity
> either. I would guess that 80% of the over 100 subscribers have
> never had the opportunity to work with Cariadoc, Anne-Marie,
> Adamantius, Ras, Clarissa, Cindy, or any of the others I consider
> Masters on this list. But I get to learn from them every day here.

Being loocated a bit far off I am one of the 80%. Doing it myself,
reading, and talking here on the list is how I learnt. There is at
least one other person here who has eaten my cooking, and I presume that
since I am not actively barred from cooking the result is not too vile.

> If you are truly upset then your feelings are valid and you do have
> a right to present them. But I feel that your feelings may be a bit
> misplaced. I try to keep a close watch here and these people
> know I don't tolerate abuse on my list. I have not seen any direct
> attacks to anyone. I have seen differing opinions and those are
> welcome as long as they are posted as differing opinions and
> not character assassinations.

I am and have been on a number of lists, with all kinds of people. The
cooks list is one of the more considerate and positive ones. Papa does a
good job of keeping the tempers contained.

Oh, and you (Bernadette) mentioned the cost. I offer only one point of
evidence. My "household" tend to eat period, well, and hearthy, and,
while a bit more expensive than the "Ramen Noodlers", fairly cheeply.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
		-- Oscar Wilde, _Picture of Dorian Gray_