SC - Re: Compost variations

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 16:12:29 PDT 2000

ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

>  However, in doing this recipe, I gathered from the notes
>  in the book that this may not have been what was being referenced, but, as
>  indicated, a sweet Italian wine.  I felt I did not know enough to go
against
> the
>  author's notes in the glossary, so followed what they said.  I knew that,
> given
>  the very distinctive taste of Retsina, that it would definitely modify the
> taste
>  of the finished product.

How about Vin Santo, an Italian sweet wine (from Tuscany) made from dried
grapes?  It is a very sweet dessert wine, and may be more along the lines of
what you are looking for.  Marsala is actually a fortified wine, and didn't
arrive until the late 1700's (1770, if I am not mistaken).  I am not sure
when Vin Santo was created (though sweet dried grape wines have been around
for a loooong time).  Anyone?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.