OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 21:56:16 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< We do not (well, most of us anyway)
 need to be lead by the hand our entire lives.  We are capable of making
basic
 assumptions without having it shoved down our throats.

BUT we have been taught to 'freedom.' Those in the middle ages were not. They
were taught obedience and unquestionable loyalty to individuals. This freedom
of expression that you mention simply did not exist for the vast majority of
those whom you seem to think enjoyed it. Freedom of thought and the other
freedoms we bandy about simply di not exist at that time. As an apprenticed
cook you were expected to learn the exact craft of your Master. If you did
not do so you were not allowed into the guilds as a member, you were never
advanced to any place where you could possibly taint others with your 'evil'
notions. This was true in most of the trades. In fact, such restrictions were
the reason the Renaissance happened. Medieval cuisine became vastly different
in the Renaissance and even more unrecognizable as medieval in the early
modern period after 1450 CE.

Ras