SC - Apples for Cider

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Apr 5 22:32:14 PDT 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor asked:
> I am anticipating the arrival of a much awaited strain of wild yeast from
> Lmbeek (spelling?), Belgium (the home of that now famous sour beer, the
> Lambic), and was considering making some cider out of a portion of it.  Does
> anyone have any information of which particular family of apples would be
> most appropriate for a "period style" cider?  I would like to use "belgian
> apples", but have no information regarding which, if any, were grown in
> medieval times.  If all else fails, I will use Granny Smith.  I am looking
> for a tart apple cider, but the apples themselves need not be tart.  The
> yeast should take care of that nicely.  Any ideas?

I don't think I have any info which will answer specifically which apple
varieties were used to make cider in period, but you might look at these
files to find lists of period varieties of apples:
In the FOOD section:
fruits-msg       (158K) 12/20/99    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (42K)  1/10/00    Period apples and apple recipes.

And these files in the BEVERAGES section for info on making apple cider:
cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
cider-msg         (36K) 10/29/98    Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.

I have no idea whether pears could be substituted for apples with this
yeast strain, but you might also check this file:
perry-msg          (9K)  8/24/99    A cider made with pear juice.

I wish you luck. While I've never had a mead fail, I've never had
a cider work out.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net