SC - Re: Online Cookbooks (was Re: Period Dining....)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Apr 6 08:29:59 PDT 2000

I've had a copy for some time.  I like the fact that the book has a good amount
of historical background material, which I find helps me to understand the
environment and times when the recipes were used.  I have also found the
information useful in a series of articles I've been working on that deal with
what kitchens looked like during various points in the time frame that the SCA
recreates.

The original recipes are also provided.  What I find is that I don't always have
the time to redact all of the recipes I want to use for a feast, so I use some
that have been done by others.  This book, by giving me the original, gives me
something to compare the redaction against so that I can determine if the work
is reasonable and one that I'm willing to use.

So, yes, I find it useful.

Kiri