SC - Historical Knives

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Wed Apr 5 23:03:43 PDT 2000

Actually, if you are willing to pay a small bit (not a lot, really for a
great knife), there is a set of Trade Knives that are perfect for kitchen
use, that date to Rev. War Times, probably a bit earlier, that are actual
historical replica knives made from (as is usually not the case with modern
replica swords, knives, and daggers) appropriate historical
materials---there is no shiny modern steel in these babies: they are made
for recreationist camps that are judged for historical accuracy. Some of the
other re-enactment disciplines can get really anal about the appearance of a
camp---for instance your coffee pot had better not be a perker, or you are
asked to remove it or your encampment!

However,  the knives are slightly larger than a parer, fit my lager than
average lady's palm quite nicely, are carbon steel, with curly Maple handles
and small brass pins IIRC. Simply beautiful. They are available at Panther
Primitives (for whom I am a dealer, but you can order direct from them if
you like). I have a set for sale (can easily get more), they are $35.00
each, and one is French and one is English (the difference being the curve
or non-curve of the cutting edge). If anyone is interested, they can drop me
a line at home at wildcat2 at ptd.net (am writing this from work). They are
really sweet, I hate to put them on the sales table. It was a case of love
at first sight! They may be up for view and purchase at panther' website,
but didn't make it into the current paper catalog, though there are other
knives in it. Try  www.pantherprimitives.com . You can also buy a
to-drool-over supply of historical cookware there---fire irons, spits, cast
iron pots for camp cooking, table ware, horn, pewter, bone or wooden eating
utensils, (or the equipment to make some of these) etc. Catalogs are $2.00
and they WILL be at Pennsic. Me, I can bring stuff to people at Pennsic, but
don't merchant per se. It's my only vacation.

Aoife

         Original msg:
<< You asked: [1] Anyone who knows anything about how kitchen knives
looked in period? >>
I ordered 2 small knives and one big knife from these folks at Pennsic last
year. They do hold their edge and I am fascinated at how well they work
compared to modern knives
Ras