SC - Brussel sprouts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 14:54:07 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/6/00 12:51:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
parlei at algonet.se writes:

<< Ras,

 Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to prepare Brussels
 sprouts in such a manner that this lady will like (and eat) them.

 /UlfR
  well, it *sounded* like Ras type of challenge. >>

Well, Brussels sprouts will be a challenge. There is (or was) a lady from
this list who visited Caer Frig last year emphatically declaring she could
not stand lamb no matter how it was prepared.  Before she left she had eaten
a nicely prepared midnight dish of lamb and left the camp liking it a lot. My
stepdad absolutely hated liver. Now he will eat it prepared with bacon strips
under the broiler and loves it that way only.

You are correct in that I maintain that when a person dislikes something they
have not eaten it prepared in a way in which they would like it. I can't
stand potato salad or half cooked onions but I am always open to attempts at
it's preparation that I would enjoy without spontaneous vomiting. There are
some foods which I don't prefer (e.g., fishy tasting fish) but I will eat
them if they are served. Preferences aside the above mentioned potato salad
and half cooked onions are about the only things that cause any physical
reactions.

I think newly harvested young, sweet sprouts picked on a frosty evening,
steamed in dry sherry until fork tender and served with a nice melted
Wisconsin cheddar cheese sauce might do the trick. :-)

Ras