OT - Re: SC - Re: saffron

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 16:30:13 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< I wonder if the Lord of the Manor ever got tired of eating the same
recipes,
 and ordered his cooks to "do something different, for Pete's sake!" >>

I think he did but NOT at official feasts at which his cooks were expected to
recreate the recipes that were 'appropriate' for such feasts. Think 'sumo'
wrestlers and their stylized fighting techniques and you will get a fair idea
of what I am trying to say. The only manuscripts we have are from those types
of feasts. Anything else is mere guessing at best and completely contrived.
Without benefit of actual documents we have no way of knowing what was served
outside the 'official' type feasts. Again I would love to see manuscripts
outside of that narrow range but they simply do not appear until the late
Renaissance and Early Modern period to my knowledge.

I know many do not think of themselves as noble but the SCA defines us as
such and we have the records of what noblemen ate. Those records are enough
to keep me busy for a lot of years so I so not see a need to speculate about
peasant cookery nor do I see a need to go outside the realm of actual recipes
at this time. perhaps such a need will arise but for now that is where I am
coming from.

Other folks have taken up this work and I look expectantly to any results
they post with much interest.

Ras