Peldyn's attempt wasRe: SC - I CHALLENGE YOU...

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 06:39:18 PDT 2000

>I made this tonight for dinner and served it with a brown rice and pearled
>wheat pilaf and a green salad.
>
>For to make a buccenade, tak veel and boyle it.. Tak (y)olke of eggys & mak
>hem (th)ykke. Tak macis & powdre of gyngyur & powdere of peper, & boyle it
>togedere & messe yt forth.
>.

Sounds straightforward.

>I took five an a half pound shoulder clod roast and boiled it instead of
>the
>veal since that was the only large cut of meat available and they had >no
>veal.

Well, in my opinion (and I think Ras said it as well) american veal
typically isn't veal, it's just young beef.  I sometimes brine beef
to leech out the nasty stuff in it and make it more tender.  Not
something you can do all the time though.

>I put it on the stove in a pot with 3 cups of beef broth and boiled
>(with the lid on through most of the cooking) it until it was tender.
Hmmm...my only problem with this is that veal is a much lighter tasting meat
than beef, but that is a mere aesthetic to me.
It would be even lighter having been boiled, with much of the
meat's flavor now in the broth.  Adding the beef broth would make it
stronger.

>By then
>much of the liquid had reduced. I took the meat out and let the broth
>continue to boil down.  I  sliced the meat and placed it on a >platter.

>I took 4 eggs yolks and beat them in a heavy saucepan until they were
> >thick adding 2 pinches mace, 2 pinches of ginger, and 2 pinches of
> >pepper. I then put it over the heat to simmer, beating vigorously,
> >making a Hollandaise type sauce.

Sounds cool as well, eggs can use that kind of abuse.  The recipe
isn't clear HOW you make the eggs "ykke" and it's a good technique.
You could just also cook them slowly over a low heat without really beating
them and if you control it, they won't scramble.

I slowly drizzled the beef broth that had reduced to about 2/3 of a
>cup into the egg mixture beating vigorously. This created a lovely golden
>brown sauce that I served over the tender meat.

Sounds good, but the stock from cooking the veal wouldn't be quite so
intense.  If I was doing this redaction, I wouldn't have used the extra
starting broth because it would make it more intense and play down the
spices used, but then again, it's not clear as to what it's
boiled in, I would assume water.

>This turned out so good even Ian, my picky nephew ate it!!!

It sounds really good, I'm going to try it one of these nights when
I have company that can eat eggs (my brother-in-law is a cholesterol sponge
and he can't have the eggs and they're my current company).

I like the more intense beef flavor myself, so I'll probably use stock of
the low-sodium variety (if I don't have any cubes left in the fridge from my
frozen home-made batch).

I've probably missed most of this thread already...but then again
I get to rarely actually read all of my mail.  Best way to make sure I see
it is to put (TO CADOC) in the subject on the reply because I get over 1000
messages a week at this address.

Cadoc MacDairi
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG
Shire of Abhainn Ciach Ghlaiss

"I feel the air rise up in me
Kneel down in prayer the stone of years
I wonder how well you can see