SC - za'atar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 9 08:37:49 PDT 2000

>I'll bet that there are recipe variations.  But I got my recipe from an Iraqi
>Jew living in Jerusalem.....
>Phillipa
>I'd love to have some other variations.   (I;ll have to check with my
>Lebanese friend)
><< Hello the list!
>
>  Interesting that you all seem to say that zahatar/za'atar is sumac.
>  Everyone here says it's hyssop (and that the other ingredients in the made
>  up stuff are chiefly sesame seeds - what else - and salt).  Hmm.  This needs
>  some investigating.  Will try to ask further at this end.
>
>  Cairistiona >>

Za'atar is an herb, in the marjoram/oregano family. Za'atar is NOT sumac.

What is sold commercially is often blended with sumac and lightly
toasted sesame seeds, but the base of the za'atar blend is za'atar
herb.

As marjoram is much milder than the oregano we usually find, i would
recommend using that if you want to make your own.

Anahita