SC - Re: following faithfully

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 22:08:34 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/9/00 11:06:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kareno at lewistown.net writes:

<< The good Lord Ras know how to
 cook & make us swoon from envy with his skills.  But, is your rendition
 of a period recipe (without ratios/numbers/cooking methods)  more
 "correct" than mine?  Just wondering if I am missing something . . . . .

     Still learning  and asking questions
     Caointiarn >>

No. Your recipe redactions are just as accurate as mine or any other
rendering of the manuscript done by any other cook, IMO.

I think this is a good point and one that should be emphasized to any budding
historical cook. if there are no given amounts then any rendering of the
recipe which uses the techniques given and the closest approximation of the
ingredients listed should be considered equally valid if no listed amounts of
ingredients are given. The example I gave recently of the chicken recipe I
redacted for a newsletter article many years ago was a good example. From
that recipe I was able to render it as a soup, a casserole or a meat loaf. Of
the 3 renderings none could be said to be more accurate than any other
rendering that others might produce.

What I was referring to was specifically substituting cooking techniques
(e.g., leave out parboiling) or roast instead of grill, etc.). Or
substituting a totally different ingredient (e.g., carrots for parsnips)
unless the recipe itself specified what substitutions were appropriate for
that specific recipe. Such substitutions would make the recipe a period-like
rendering as opposed to a period rendering at the very least if based on
supposition. Actually, they would make a modern recipe based on the
inspiration of a period recipe more accurately, IMO.

A case in point is the Bukkanade recipe, it can be rendered equally tasty as
a savory dish and, IMO, as a sweet dish. Which is more accurate? I don't
think we have the resources or information to make a blanket judgment there.
What is important is that whichever method is chosen the dish tastes good.
The recipe is after all from a manuscript which was used by the cooks of
royalty for the most part. And if the rendering of the dish can honestly be
said as to be fit for a King then I would laud it as a good rendition.  All
the renditions posted so far regarding that recipe sound extremely tasty so
all are can be said to be equally 'period.' We simply have no way of knowing
which is the accurate rendition unless we discover the dish frozen in the
perma frost somewhere or find a detailed description in period writings from
the actual time the recipe was written down in the manuscript regarding its
actual nature. I don't know that such a description exists.

I found your comments to be valid regarding the sugar issue and agree
completely but I also see another possibility as equally valid. Developing a
style of cookery uniquely one's own and then applying across board to any
particular period cookery is what individual cooks are all about. You have a
distinct style as do I and every other cook. Using that style within the
bounds of a particular time frame produces dishes that are unique to that
individual. It does not validate any particular rendition as more accurate
than another.

Yours in Service to the Dream,

Ras