SC - thank you tokens.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Apr 11 00:44:56 PDT 2000

"James F. Johnson" wrote:

> Lainie and I just had a discussion last month concerning recognition.
> Part of my position is I'd rather have the personal thanks and gratitude
> of individual people than be called up in court for an award or public
> thanking. For Investiture, the new Princess (also a veteran cook) sent
> for me towards the end of the feast (not a court) and gifted me a box of
> assorted spices. Low key and a very appropriate choice. The memorable
> moments for me was the King sending someone back to the kitchen for more
> Brie Tart, and the Right Honourable Baranne de Bayard de Montchesne,
> affectionately known as the Curmudgeon of the Summits, gushing over how
> good the food tasted. The context is she is not easily impressed and
> conservative on praise (except 'Laine and I are among her favourite
> surrogate children). I can't imagine trading that moment for a Grant or
> a Peerage. Oh, well, I'm really sweet on her as well.

I must point out that the recognition of the cook/staff at a feast is a
somewhat different discussion than the issue we were chewing over-
something like comparing a successful date with a long relationship. But
having Mama Baranne effusive with praise went a long way...

> I chose not to recognize my staff in court business, but sought them out
> after the feast with my basket of spice mixes. Each time was personal,
> not public, and I like it that way. Especially with my Hall Steward. ;-)
>
> Seumas

I'll admit he's pretty good in private ;-)

'Lainie