SC - zahatar

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:00:15 PDT 2000

Hello the list!

I now have my packet of commercially prepared zahatar in front of me, and
can copy the ingredient list:  Zahatar, sesame seeds, spices [cretins - why
can't they name them?] salt, sumac, olive oil.

On further asking around here, people are still insisting that zahatar is
hyssop.  They say that the recipe is different in other countries, but here
apparently the correct thing to use is hyssop (which has left me even more
confused than ever, as to my mind it couldn't be the same thing if you don't
use zahatar/hyssop).

Cairistiona
who is having difficulty spelling her own name lately