SC - Fw: [Trimaris] Meat in a can (no, it's not aboutlistmeat)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 15 20:45:09 PDT 2000

Olaf wrote:
>  Also how vegan is vegan?  I have had people say that are vegan &
>they can or can't eat cheese; can or can't eat any Milk product; can or
>can't eat eggs; can or can't eat fish; even one person who objected to
>Honey as an animal by product.

Every definition i've heard for vegan has vegans among the strictest
vegetarians, that is, they eat NO animal products. So, no dairy
products, no eggs, and probably for the strictest no honey.

As for vegetarians, there are a number of varieties. Some eat dairy
but no eggs (lacto-vegetarians), some eat both dairy and eggs
(ovo-lacto-vegetarians).

Some people consider themselves vegetarians, but eat seafood. Since
when did fish become a vegetable? I wouldn't consider these people
vegetarians if they eat fish often.

Some people consider themselves vegetarians, but eat fish and fowl. I
would also not consider these people vegetarians.

I have heard about a number of young vegans having bone problems
because while they're skipping the dairy, they are not consuming an
adequate amount of alternate sources of calcium - it can be done, but
one might need to spend some time reading up on nutrition, which many
teens don't bother doing.

And there are one or two necessary nutrients that one cannot get from
a purely vegetarian diet without supplements, vitamin B12 being one.
George Bernard Shaw was a vegetarian, but for nutritional reasons ate
periodic servings of liver (shudder).

My daughter who is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian also reads the labels on
nutritional supplements and medications because she doesn't want to
consume any gelatin, which is an animal product (no "Gel-Caps" for
her). This means no marshmallows, not a great loss, although i
suppose the vegetarian market now has some sort made without
gelatin...

Then there are the no-cooked food vegetarians - there was a
restaurant in L.A. back in the '80's that specialized in this -
Sun-Fired Foods, i think was the name. I tried it out of curiosity.
Some of it was tasty, if a bit... chewy. I was particularly enamored
of an all-black spread or side dish that contained black olives and
several kinds of seaweed, but i really like seaweeds. I believe it
may also have had black sesame paste in it. I have the remains of a
jar of black sesame butter in my fridge, but can no longer find any -
Westbrae made it, but i think they don't anymore. So, how difficult
would it be to grind my own using those little boxes of Japanese
black sesame seeds?

Anahita