SC - tallow rendering

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 15 23:37:04 PDT 2000

Phlip forwarded to this list a series of messages between herself and a
friend who was asking about rendering animal fats into oils. While I
have some messages on this subject, they have not been made into a
file in the Florilegium yet. However, there is some information on
processing fats into tallow and oils in these files:

I think you friend might also find some useful info in the soap and
candle making files in the Florilegium such as:
In the CRAFTS section:
Lye-Soap-art      (23K)  8/ 8/97    "The history of and how to make soap"
                                       by Baroness Leonora Kathryn de Provence.
soapmaking-msg    (57K) 12/21/99    Period and modern soapmaking techniques.
Soapmakng-CMA-art (24K) 10/ 6/97    "Soapmaking in the Current Middle
Ages" by
                                       Gillian Fhlaitheamhail (Fraya
Davis).

In HOME, SWEET HOME:
candles-msg       (79K)  4/12/00    Candle snuffers, making candles,
wax, tallow

I will try to push the priorities up on this file on fat-rendering and see
if I can't get it into the Florilegium soon.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net