SC - feasting during Lent (Vegan Feasts)

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Apr 16 10:06:04 PDT 2000

>>     Olaf wrote:
>There fore this challenge:  tell me a complete period feast of 3 removes
>> with at least 2 courses per remove that  would not have any dishes
objectional to any vegan person. >>

and Stefan inquired:
>However, would they have held a feast during Lent in christian Europe?<

Probably not  -- except for on Sundays (and special feast days)    One book
I cited from for a Wooden Spoon  type competition which was a Lenten Meal,
states that Penance for a year spent in fasting on bread & water  (oh!  they
DID drink the water!)
was to follow the plan of fast three days: namely Mon, Wed & fri on bread &
water.  On three days, namely  Tue Thur & Say  abstain from wine, mead
honeyed beer, meat, fat, cheese, and eggs and from every kind of fat fish.
this section goes on to state that  he may eat little fishes if he is able
to obtain them  and beans, veggies, apples & drink beer.

On Sundays and assorted Feast days: Nativity, Penecost, St John the Baptist,
Holy Mary, the twelve Apostles, feast of the Ascension, St. Michael, St
Regmigius, All Saints, St Martin Patron saint of the Diocese, he shall
fraternize with other Christians  -- that is, he will use the same foods &
drink as they.  It goes on to say NOT to consume the Feast food is a bad
sin, and not in keeping with the holiness of the Penitent fast.

    That is from  _Medieval Handbooks of Penance_  a translation of the
principal "libri poenitentiales" and selections from related documents   by
John T McNeill & Helena M Gamer  Octagon Books Inc  1965

Another source:  _The Paschal or Lent Fast_ Apostolical and Pertetual,  at
first delivered in  A SERMON  preached before his Majesty in Lent and since
enlarged.  Published by his Majesties special Command    by Peter Gunning
D>D>  oxford  (MDCCCXLV)

Having done research, and wishing she had the former book

Caointiarn