SC - Plastic Ware

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Sun Apr 16 23:53:15 PDT 2000

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, margali wrote:

> It is a choice for a vacation.

True, we all make our own, personal choices, which is why I attempted to
make clear that I was not criticising you, but rather expressing my
surprise and astonishment at your choice.

> I as do many others on this list have stressful jobs/lives for one
> reason or another.
>
> I choose to enjoy my vacation.

So do I. And I don't thing anyone here really want to start a DSW on who
have the most stressfull life or job.

> If you have the main schmooze meal being served at dusk, by the time
> dinner was done, it was pitch black, and it is a tad difficult to do
> dishes standing on a slope in the dark...We did have a dirty dish issue
> last year that I really want to avoid.

I once discovered that there is a pretty dependable way to make sure
dishes are done. Just let them be. When time comes for the next meal,
make all of your preps as far as you can *without* the dirty dishes. The
annonce (with shades of Mister T) that you "pity the fool" who thinks
you will either cook with dirty dishes or do both cooking *and* washing.
And no, you couldn't care less what time it is, or how dark it is: you
will cook $MEAL as soon as you have clean dishes to do it with. Suggest
that they bring a lantern if it is dark.

This of course assumes that you have a deal where the cook isn't
responsible for doing the dishes as well. Our deal is that the cook
don't wash dishes (except their own feastgear, even if those who was the
cooking stuff generally takes on the lot on the basis of it being more
rational). If several cooks, we rotate. I may be willing to go to rather
large efforts to avoid  having to eat what is, to me, glaringly OOP food
at events, but it does not extend to doing both cooking and washing up,
not unless someone pays me my regular conslutting rates, or something
close to them. BTDT.

> As to the fibreware, it is plain, and off white. The plates are oval
> with a bit of a lip, and the bowls are plain and about 12 oz in
> capacity. They are recyclable and from a renewable resource-and also
> bear a resemblance to feastgear i have seen at events.

I have no doubts that you have seen their like at events, but have you
see their like in period? If I can't at least pretend to myself that it
is period, then it is, to me, a break in the spirit that I want on
events.

> The plastic flatware, well-we had assorted mundane flatware and instead
> of having to wash these, we can chuck them. I dont have a problem in
> bringing my modern mugs and glasses[well, plasticswares] to pennsic, but
> i will be damned if i bring my period looking expensive spanish blown
> glass or german tankards.

What can Im say? Personally I, and those I camp with, do. The modern
stuff is something the beginners bring to their first events, or that
total newcomers gets to borrow from what belongs to the site.

> Despite the intrinsic value that could walk
> off, there is a breakage issue. I could spend 60 for polycarb beer
> tankards from work, that at least look sort of period, but i have no use
> for them other than for pennsic. i may buy them next winter for next
> year, but i make less than 20k, and i dont feel like dodging phone
> payments and car insurance to have a period campsite!

Perhaps I see values differently, prices are way different here in
Sweden, or I have different standards when it comes to feastgear. Wooden
plates dos not cost very much (US$5 or so), at least not if one is
willing to accept them made from glued parts rather than one piece.
Wooden spoon; US$3-5. A simple wooden, metal or ceramic cup is not too
expensive. Knife lives at the belt, or in a thong around my neck,
anyway, so that is a non-cost. Ceramic bowls that are ok are not too
expensive either.

> Our site is cramped enough, and people mostly forgot their feastgear
> anyway....it would eb easier to provide the fibreware and plasticwares.

They come to an SCA camp without these things? I think I live in a
different SCA than you do.

> I consider the point of pennsic is vacation. I want to cheer the
> fighters, do classes, sit and schmooze and network . I consider the
> nonperiooid feastgear a good compromise...if i wanted a period camp, i
> would camp in the enchanted ground.

I more and more gather that our camp (a smallish pseudo-household) is
borderline enchanted ground, and that many SCA camps in Nordmark is
"enchanted ground light". Or is "period tents only, keep the obviously
modern stuff hidden" the actual standard everywhere?

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty.  You might want to mug someone
with it.
		-- M. Devine, Computer Science 340