SC - Megadarra

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Apr 17 08:29:38 PDT 2000

I just got finished typing this in for a friend, so I thought I would
send it along to the list for your benefit as well.  Can someone with
access to al-Baghdadi put their hands on the original, and perhaps type
it in as well?
Thanks,
	Christianna

>From :
"A Book of Middle Eastern Food" by Claudia Roden  Vintage Books, c. 1972

	"Megadarra

	Here is a modern version of a medieval dish called 'mujadarra',
described by al -Baghdadi as a dish of the poor, and still known today as
Esau's favorite.  In fact, it is such a great favorite that although said
to be for misers, it is a compliment to serve it.
	An aunt of mine used to present it regularly to guests with the comment:
"Excuse the food of the poor!" - to which the unanimous repy always was:
"Keep your food of kings and give us megadarra every day!".
	The proportions for this lentil and rice dish vary with every family.
Here is my family's recipe for a rather large quantity.  Whereas I have
used twice the weight of rice to lentils, many other people use equal
amounts.  Today, meat is not included as it was in the medieval recipe.

2 cups large brown lentils, soaked if required
1 onion, finely chopped
Oil

Salt and Black Pepper
1 cup long grain rice, washed
2 onions, sliced into half-moon shapes

Boil lentils in a fresh portion of water to cover for 3/4 to 1 1/2 hours,
or until tender.  Fry the chopped onion in 2 tablespoons oil until soft
and golden.  Add it to the lentils and season to taste with salt and
pepper.  Mix well and add rice, together with enough water to make the
liquid in the pan up to 2 cups.  Season again and simmer gently, covered,
for about 20 minutes until the rice becomes soft and well cooked, adding
a little more water if it becomes absorbed too quickly.
	Fry the sliced onions in 2 tablespoons very hot oil until they are dark
brown and sweet, almost carmelized.
	Serve the rice and lentils on a large shallow dish, garnished with the
fried onion slices.
	This dish is delicious served either hot or cold, and accompanied by
yogurt. "