SC - Fire pit cooking

Aengus1 at aol.com Aengus1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 11:21:40 PDT 2000

Unto all who read these words does Aengus MacBain bid good greetings.

I have a bit of a delimma I was hoping you good folk could help me with.
Milady wife and I have taken an interest in cooking over an open fire. We
recently bought a spit however, we have no real idea how to cook with the
bloody thing. How does one gauge the height at which the food should be kept
from the fire? How do you interpret temperature on something as variable as
an open fire? Are there any books available on the subject or is this one of
those trial and error things?  Any assistance you could offer to pave our way
in the venue would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance,
Aengus MacBain
Aengus1 at aol.com