SC - Plastic Ware

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 15:09:53 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/17/2000 2:43:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

<< The problem with making trenchers out of modern bread slices is that they
 are actually a little too small and a little too thin. There are some
 pretty good descriptions of how to carve trencher loaves into trenchers
 in the period literature. Also, the bread in trenchers was a little
 different from the normal "good" medieval bread as well as being
 several days old. >>

What I was planning on doing was using the bread machine to make a 100% whole
wheat loaf (I haven't yet found a 100% whole wheat bread that I felt was
really edible...), cut that to the appropriate size and shape, and let those
dry for trenchers.
My bread machine does 1.5-2 lb normal shaped loaves (the pan is a loaf pan
with knead bars, basically), so I should be able to get a fair number of
trencher slices from one loaf.

Brangwayna Morgan