SC - Plastic Ware

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 21:15:29 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/16/2000 11:58:09 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
parlei at algonet.se writes:

<<
 I more and more gather that our camp (a smallish pseudo-household) is
 borderline enchanted ground, and that many SCA camps in Nordmark is
 "enchanted ground light". Or is "period tents only, keep the obviously
 modern stuff hidden" the actual standard everywhere?

I don't believe there is a standard, at least not here in the Valley of the
Sun (Atenveldt.)  A completely period appearing encampment is rare indeed.
Our Household tries for a period appearance, but it varies from individual to
individual as to the accomplishment of this, and no one is chastised for a
...um...less-than-perfect? attempt.  Feast gear is vastly eclectic, but
m'ladies Rosalinda, Felicia, and myself have done enough thrift store
shopping that we can provide wooden plates bowls, spoons, and peri-oid forks
for anyone who does not have them, but drinking vessels vary from hand thrown
ceramic tankards to plastic "McDonald's" cups.  We feast in a very medieval
setting, in a vast pavilion with hanging candle lit chandeliers and nice
tables, but the chairs are mostly those new canvas folding chairs that are so
comfortable.  We made attempts to make period camp chairs, but the consensus
has been that they are not comfortable for eating, and take up too much room
to fit us all in the hall, so they've been consigned outside to the firepit
area.  At the last Estrella, there were twelve medieval appearing pavilions
visible to the public, and one glaringly mundane camping tent-trailer
(EWWWWWW).  There were also about eight mundane tents hidden behind the
medieval ones.  How much effort one wishes to put into this game is left to
the individual, with no criticism placed upon said individual.  (I did make
some rather obvious choking noises when I arrived to find the trailer thing
parked in front of my medieval pavilion so that it was the first thing I saw
upon arising each morn)  As has been stated, for almost all of us, this is
vacation time.  To stress over what someone else choses to do with their
vacation time is counterproductive.  So, for me, it is best to live and let
live.

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt