SC - reasonably safe water at Pennsic

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Apr 19 08:33:12 PDT 2000

Yes, Brandu, I'm well aware of the Pennsic Plague at Pennsic XIII, and
subsequent mini-outbreaks. I'm also well aware of all the changes and hard
work Coopers have put into the campground for our benefit, primarily. I am
also aware that there are occasional cases of digestive problems caused by
viruses that people bring with them, unsafe food handling, sensitive immune
systems, changes in diet and habits, and all the other little things that
might put your digestive system into, umm, shall I say it? might as well, a
sit-down strike.

I didn't really think, though, that these details were necessary.

The point remains that these cases are isolated incidents caused by a number
of different factors, not an ongoing, serious problem causing significant
numbers of people at Pennsic to become ill as a result of the water.

All I'm saying is that you need to take the same simple precautions you'd
take in your own home- reasonable cleanliness, combined with sensible
actions- drinking out of the Lake, for instance, is not a good idea,
althiugh the fish in it are just fine (and tasty, I might add).

If people want to go out and make the filter factories rich, and buy every
gallon of bleach and bottled water in PA and surrounding states, fine, but
it just isn't necessary in order to have a healthy Pennsic.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous