Definition of the word Period (again) Re: SC - Alternate spicing

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 05:12:22 PDT 2000

I say... YES.  There is a difference in the definition of the word "period"
when used in many different contexts and by many different people.  How do I
know this?  'Cause right now, as we speak... I am running a Feast Survey on a
variety of different SCA Lists. It has around 20 questions about feasts,
food, feast set-up, etc.  I asked that (if possible) people respond to the
survey in the mind frame of the "eaters" of feasts rather than the
"preparers" of feasts.  I have got some surprising (for me) answers and
comments.

Rayne

In a message dated 4/20/00 3:19:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<<

 >  We have come to use a definition for Period on this list, which means
what
 >  you have called "Documentably Period". we are using the rather nebulous
 >  term "period" as a "term of art"  with that definition for the purposes
of
 > this
 >  list.

 Allright.  So, if I were cooking at a feast you were attending (obviously
off
 this llist), and had made a substitution to a "documented recipe" and you
 noticed it, would you still consider it "not a period dish"? Is there a
 difference between the definition of "period" on the sca-cooks list and at
 SCA events in general?  This, I think, is where the confusion lies, at least
 for me.

 Balthazar of Blackmoor