SC - Dangers of pressure cookers

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Apr 20 08:11:42 PDT 2000

    For home use, with common sense, sure. Bear in mind that this was a 20
gallon commercial pressure kettle that got set into cold water. I think that
the temperature differential, steam pressure, and the fact that the lower
part contracted faster than the upper is what did the trick.
    I'd guess that home pressure cookers are overengineered by several
hundred percent, what with liability lawsuits - the lids are designed so
that you CAN'T release them until the pressure is relieved, and the safety
valves will pop out of the lid before the vessel lets go.
    Just remember that live steam (REAL steam) is invisible, and can do
incredible damage in a fraction of a second. Keep an eye on the pressure
release valves, and don't mess with them when they start to jitter. Treat it
with the respect you'd pay a gas jet, and you won't have any problem.

    Sieggy

> I have always been pretty leary of pressure cookers. I havent actually
used them, but I have been considering getting one.

> However, after reading the stories and warnings about them the last couple
of days, I have to wonder how safe are they to use?