SC - Lamb recipe and vegetable stew recipe request- RECIPES

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Apr 20 20:34:20 PDT 2000

Well, since you haven't gotten much response, I thought I'd give you a
couple from my new old cookbook ;-)

>From Mrs Wright's section-

Ragout of Mutton

Cut cold mutton or lamb into pieces about 1 inch square. Put one tablespoon
of butter into a frying pan, and when very brown, add one tablespoon of
flour; mix; add a half-pint of stock or water, stir constantly until it
boils, then add salt and pepper to taste, and a tablespoonful of
Worcestershire sauce and a tablespoonful of mushroom catsup. Now add one
pint of the mutton, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the mutton is
thoroughly heated. Add one tablespoonful of current jelly if liked. Send to
the table very hot.

Irish Stew

Put two pounds of mutton cutlets or chops, and four pounds good potatoes,
peeled and sliced, in alternate layers in a large saucepan or stewpan,
season to taste with salt and pepper, and a finely sliced onion, if liked;
add a pint of cold water and simmer very gently for two hours. Dumplings may
be used if liked.

Mutton Stew

Two pounds neck of mutton, two quarts of cold water, one quarter cup each of
carrot, turnip, onion and celery, two tablespoons of butter or drippings,
one tablespoonful of flour, salt and pepper, one tablespoonful chopped
parsley and one half cup pearl barley. Pick over the barley. Soak it in cold
waterseveral hours or overnight. Wipe the meat with a damp cloth. Remove fat
and skin. Scrape the meat from the bones. Cut it in one-half inch dice. Put
the bones on to boil in one pint cold water and the meat in three pints of
cold water. When the latter boils, add the barley. Cut the vegetables into
one-quarter inch dice, fry them five minutes in one tablespoonful of the
drippings, add the meat. Simmer three or four hours or until the meat and
barley are tender. Strain the water in which the bones have been simmered.
Cook one tablespoonful butter or drippings in a saucepan with one
tablespoonful flour, and (typo, I think- think it should be add- Phlip) the
strained water gradually, and stir into the broth. Add salt, pepper, and
parsley. Simmer ten minutes. Serve without straining.

All of the vegetable soups and stews used stock, milk, and/or butter- since
I got the impression you were cooking for vegans, I won't include them. Mrs
Harland's section had nothing appropriate.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous