Subject: SC - daryoles

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 22:39:28 PDT 2000

I think that this is a perfect example of how the
medieval cook looked at fruit and sweet dishes as
compared to how we now look at fruit and sweet dishes.

In today's world, we think of fruit as a salad
ingredient or a dessert ingredient or on occasion as a
sauce for a main course.

However, to the medieval cook a sweet strawberry pie
was more likely to be looked on as a side dish than a
dessert, which is why they used a meat broth or stock
in such a dish.  A modern cook would never think of
putting meat broth in a strawberry pie because we
would never consider a sweet pie as a side dish.

Adamantius please forgive my addendum.  I know you and
a hundred others on the list know this, but I think
there are some novice cooks on this list who might not
know this.

Huette