SC - Venison recipe request

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 22 12:53:03 PDT 2000

> Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:59:13 EDT
> From: CBlackwill at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Venison recipe request
>
> In a message dated 4/21/00 11:14:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> >  Thass okay, _not_ substituting for the Guinness would make it
> >  post-period anyway. I think, though, that what Balthazar meant was that
> >  he misunderstood the request, thinking it to be for a lamb recipe.
> >
> >  Adamantius
>
> Yep...thought it was all about the lamb.  And you're right, the Guinness
> would place it, oh..about 100 or so years out of period.

Closer to 200+, I think. Porter seems to show up in around 1750, but the
double and triple stout porters like Guinness are later still, I
believe. At least the Guinness recipe in La Pensee's book on historical
ales is later, although not necessarily the earliest it gets. In
general, the idea of using malts kilned until neither zymurgically (is
that a word?) active nor fermentably sweet, as adjuncts, seems to be an
alien concept to period brewers. Markham includes a complete set of
instructions for an air-dried "white" malt in 1615, which I mention just
as a reference point. Of course, that still makes a light amber ale...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com