SC - Shrooms of the Wild (was Scrapple recipe OOP)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 22 21:44:50 PDT 2000

Baron Akim said:
> I do have a lot of further thoughts on gathering "a la Euell Gibbons"
> and in fact, I often take walks in the Tennessee woods at events
> looking for morels and other comestibles of the first rank.   I have
> seen many period illuminations of hogs being used to hunt truffles
> (alas not native around here) and am sure that a wide range of
> wild produce which most cooks consider revolting weeds (their loss)
> were in period.  These of course are of the dratted peasant variety and
> are sans documentation.  Have we discussed documentable "wild
> foods" on this list before???

There has been some discussion of various wild greens and mushrooms.
However, much of what we consider "wild" now may well have been
intentionally cultivated then.  After reading some of the period
salad recipes many (most?) of today's salads except in maybe the
fanciest resturants seem, well, insipid.

You might be interested in taking a peek at this file in the FOOD
section of my Florilegium:
salads-msg        (81K) 10/ 8/99    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

And this one in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
mushrooms-msg     (91K)  4/26/99    Period mushrooms. Recipes.

> It is now prime poke salat season here on the farm and I have
> managed to bag 2 wild jakes and 1 tom in the last few weeks.
> I love my place on the food chain!  I have volunteer kale coming
> up just beautifully too out in the field  amidst the barley and oats.

Ok, what are "wild jakes" and "tom"? I assume the latter is not a cat,
but I do have a recipe for that, too.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net