SC - A new project....

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Apr 23 16:27:28 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Uh--what's "skyr?" Did I miss that part of the thread?
> --Maire

TTBOMK, it's curds from fresh or sour milk. The exact nature of it, and
how it might differ from cottage or ricotta cheeses as sold here in the
United States, I don't know yet. It could be tart like yogurt, or not,
AFAIK. Seems to be the primary consumed dairy product of early Iceland,
often with fruit mixed in. Am I correct, Nanna?

(enjoying the image of this tall ruddy Icelandr eating his 'fruit and
yougurt')

The acidic fermented whey, or syra, was drained off and used as a
pickling preservative, either long term or short term, and also diluted
with water (about one part to eleven of water) for a beverage.

Seumas