SC - Re: substitution

Gaylin iasmin at home.com
Mon Apr 24 05:28:00 PDT 2000

Balthazar asked:

>Chicken, pork and duck are not period?  They were not used in the middle
>ages??  I am confused.  I, personally, have medieval recipes for all three...
>Or did I miss your meaning entirely?

In the context of what I was saying, you did. We can know that chicken and
pork and duck were period. Many people may know that they were. But
preparation methods is the key to what I'm pointing out. We do not all
know how some of these things were used. And I would bet that some
people don't even know that or they wouldn't be here to learn and ask
questions. It's a thin line you tread on how much information people
give in posts. One I've wondered about. How many times have we seen even
the most learned of us ask if a particular varietal of "somethingorother"
can be traced further back than "X year"?

>Is there proof that a medieval cook would have substituted fish for duck,
>rather than chicken, or is this merely conjecture?

I have recipes that prove they've substituted fowl for red meat,
but that's not what you're asking for. :) I can only vaguely recall
period examples of your request, but if I were to start looking, I'd
peruse Le Menagier or some other text where a serious effort is
made to document feast/fast dishes. Then again, your question
doesn't center around the substitution for a fasting day, but for
the purpose of a simple meat alternative. I'm sorry I can't be
of more help than this at present.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba