SC - organ meats and anthelmintics??

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 01:19:41 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/24/00 7:51:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> As far as domestic livestock goes, I don't know, but Anthimus says,
>  interestingly enough, that bacon is good for nearly all ills, and that a
>  dose of raw bacon will expel "Stomach and gnawing worms". I wonder if
>  perhaps eating raw bacon became associated with the expulsion of worms
>  for another, simpler reason. Not that I necessarily believe that, but
>  it's an interesting thought, the possibility Anthimus has put the cart
>  before the hog...

How different was medieval bacon from the smoked, sliced stuff you buy in the
supermarket today?   Could the curing process have conatained some ingredient
which was effective at driving out worms and other parasites?  Or do
parasites simply not care for bacon? :)  On the same topic, how prevailent
was triconosis in the Middle Ages (or do we have any record)?  It seems that,
if it was as much of a problem then as in our time, wouldn't it have been
risky to ingest raw bacon?

Now, don't go thinking I am one of those folks who overcook pork out of fear
of triconosis!  I like mine just fine when it's nice and juicy.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.