SC - Recipe: Cheese Fritters

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Apr 25 20:42:27 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 25 Apr 00,, that Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> There you go again, Brighid, using Rich Text again ...
>
> This is just too frustrating ...

::sigh::  I'm sorry.  Maybe someone can tell me what I should be doing
differently.  I copied and pasted the text from my "translation" disk.  I
deleted the footnote, changed the font, and unchecked the "rich text"
box.  Can anyone tell me if there's something else I can do, other than
retyping the text by hand?

Wait... here's an experiment.  Huette, is the text below readable?

TORONJAS DE XATIVA QUE SON ALMOJAVANAS  -- "Grapefruits” of
Xativa which are Cheesecakes

You must take new cheese and curd cheese, and grind them in a mortar
together with eggs.  Then take dough and knead those cheeses with the curd
cheese, together with the dough, and when everything is incorporated and
kneaded take a very clean casserole, and cast into it a good quantity of sweet
pork fat or fine sweet oil, and when the pork grease or oil boils, make some
balls from said dough, like toy balls or round oranges, and cast them into the
casserole in such a manner that the ball goes floating in the casserole, and
you can also make fritters of the dough, or whatever shapes and ostentations
you wish, and when they are the color of gold, take them out, and cast in as
many others; and when everything is fried, put it on plates, and cast honey
upon it, and upon them honey, ground sugar and cinnamon.  However note
one thing: that you must put a bit of leaven in the cheeses and in the eggs,
and in the other put flour, and when you make the balls, grease your hands
with a little fine oil: and then they go to the casserole, and when it is inside, if
the dough crackles it is a signal that it is very soft; and you must cast in more
flour until it is harder; and when the fritter is made and fried, cast your honey
on it and sugar and cinnamon on top as is said above.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net