SC - Food A Culinary History

Acanthusbk at aol.com Acanthusbk at aol.com
Wed Apr 26 13:47:06 PDT 2000

There are alternatives to buying from Amazon. Most of the time Amazon does
not have the best price, if that is a concern. Search for this title at
http://www.addall.com. Also FYI see http://www.noamazon.com.
Amanda
Acanthus Books

In a message dated 4/26/2000 3:23:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> Just found it on Amazon.com for $27.95, along with glowing reviews from
Julia
>  Child, Jacques Pepin and others.  I think I may order it!!
>
>  Kiri
>
>  "Decker, Terry D." wrote:
>
>  > "Food A Culinary History from Antiquity to the Present" arrived today.  A
>  > quick look at the book suggests it is going to be an important addition
>  > my historical research bookshelf.
>  >
>  > The book is divided into periods; Prehistory and Ancient Civilizations,
> The
>  > Classical World, From the Late Classical to the Early Middle Ages, etc.
>  > Each chapter is a separate paper covering some aspect of cooking and
> culture
>  > within the period.  Each paper has its own bibliography and/or notes.
>  >
>  > I'll probably start with "Diet and Medicine in the Ancient World", "From
>  > Hearth to Table:  Late Medieval Cooking Equipment", and "Seasoning,
> Cooking
>  > and Dietetics in the Late Middle Ages."  I expect it will take me a
couple
>  > weeks to read the entire book.  I'll be able to give a more detailed
> opinion
>  > then.
>  >
>  > In case anyone is interested, the book is:
>  >
>  > Flandrin, Jean-Louis and Montanari, Massimo, Food A Culinary History from
>  > Antiquity to the Present; Columbia University Press, New York, 1999.
ISBN