SC - igrounden

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Apr 26 14:39:29 PDT 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I am reading through CURYE ON INGLYSCH and have run into this word:
> *igrounden* does it mean *ground*  as in ground up? that seems to make sense
> to the context and there was another word  (can't find it now) that was a
> "regular english word" except for starting with *i*.  Does *i* signify
> something special?

Could you quote the passage or sentence? In general the i- prefix is a
variant of the y- prefix that you see even in Shakespeare. It makes the
verb into a kind of participle that indicates a past and continuing
action. For instance, 'yclept' means named- such as I am yclept 'Lainie,
have been for awhile and continue to be so. Something that is
'igrounden' is something that is ground, like meal or almonds. It is not
a present action but more of a state of being.

> Also, I've run into the *th* symbol for thorn  (thanks list. I would never
> have known what it was if it weren't for you guys!)  But what is that symbol
> that looks kinda like a squiggly 3?

It is called a yogh- pronounced 'yug'. In general, if it is at the
beginning of a word, you can read a 'y' there. If it is in the middle,
treat it as a 'gh' or 'ough'. Also- infrequently- you might find a 'D',
capital or lower case, with a line through it. It is another symbol for
the 'th' sound and can be treated just like a thorn.

That was fun! Next?

;-)

'Lainie