SC - question: linguistics and food

Guenevere Nelson-Melby Guenevere_Nelson-Melby at needham.k12.ma.us
Thu Apr 27 13:16:28 PDT 2000

I am looking for a book that would give me the history of the English
language, along with examples of the latin-french-anglo saxon (English)
words for similar items/ food. In other words, something that would tell
me that pork is from the French and pig from the anglo-saxon, and how this
relates to the development of the language (The French came in as upper
class, so their word would relate to the table, as they were consumers,
the Anglo-Saxon were lower class and were therefore the growers, so their
word would relate the the live animal, and Latin came in via scholars, so
its word would refer to literary references, etc.) I remember learning
this in college, and wish to re-research it.
Any ideas?

guenevere