SC - Books on the shielf

Thu Apr 27 14:16:05 PDT 2000

Pretty good selection of books for a beginner.  Forget the recipes in
Fabulous Feasts, read it for other information.  Your
Apicius is probably Vehling and therefore not the best translation or
redactions.

I get most of my spices through a local health food store; fresh, in bulk,
and relatively inexpensive.  About the only thing they don't carry is long
pepper.  Francisco Sirene, who is on this list, is a spicer who does mail
order.  I occasionally use Penzey's and there are several other mail order
spice dealers.

While I have a mortar and pestle, I usually cheat and use a spice grinder.

A salamander is a hot iron used for browning, melting cheese, etc.
Four-legged salamanders are a symbol for the element of fire.  A flaming
heraldic salamander toasting cheese was proposed several years ago as the
badge of the SCA Cooks list.  A couple of gifs were created, but they appear
to have faded into the mists of cyberspace.

Bear

<clipped>