SC - Now Valencye was Books on the sheilf

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Fri Apr 28 02:03:20 PDT 2000

Siegfried Heydrich wrote:

>     FRIED orange? I've done broiled orange (similar to grapefruit, only
> using spiced honey that's been reduced a bit and a dash of Galliano), but
> fried? This, I gotta see!

Yep - Fried.  Just remember _you_ asked for the recipe, I just want to know
whether she actually got it from a period source & if she did so, what did the
original actually look like before she got her hands on it?

I seem to remember someone once suggesting it was from an arabic source
(al-Bagdadhi maybe?)

Anyway, Just for you Siggy ;-):  Madeline Pelner Cosman's recipe:
Valencye (Fried Valencia Oranges)
4 large seedless eating oranges
4 tbsps brown sugar
1/8 tsp mace
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tblsps brown sugar
1 cup oil for sautéing
1 raw egg
1/2 scant cup milk
  Garnish:  4 tblsps mustard & 4 tblsps brown sugar

1. Peel oranges & separate sections.  Mix sugar & spices & "strew" on.
2.  Prepare a thick batter (Blend 2 Tblsps oil, the beaten egg & milk; then stir
liquid into dry mixture of flour, baking powder, salt, & brown sugar).  Add more
flour if batter is too thin & if it is too thick to evenly coat the orange
sections, then dilute with more milk.  Chill batter for 1&1/2 hours.
3.  Heat remaining oil in skillet until hot but not smoking.
4.  Dip orange sections in batter & coat thoroughly.  Drop into hot oil & fry
until nicely browned.  Serve warm, with mustard & brown sugar in separate spice
dishes.

Lorix