SC - Quince Pastes

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 21:40:00 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/29/00 11:42:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au writes:

> Unfortunately, there is no redaction and (other
>  people's objections aside *grin*) I am not happy reacting my own recipes
>  yet.  Does anyone out there have a redaction?

I have a recipe for cotignac from the Larousse Gastronomique.  I am not sure
where the source material came from, but I have used the recipe in the past,
and it works very well as written.

Cotignac

Wash and peel some quinces; remove the seeds and tie them in a small piece of
muslin.  Cut the quinces into quarters and place them in a pan with 4 oz
water per 2 1/4 lbs of fruit, together with the seeds in muslin.  Cook over a
low heat until the quinces are soft and squeeze the bag of seeds to obtain
the maximum flavor.  Remove the seed and reduce the pulp to a puree (I use a
food processor).

Weigh the puree and pour it into a pan with 1 3/4 cups sugar to each 2 cups
puree.  Reduce the puree, stirring constantly, until a small ball of it will
hold its shape.  Spread the paste evenly on an oiled baking tray and leave to
dry out, preferably in a very cool oven (I let it dry out on the counter,
very loosely covered in cheesecloth).  Cut the paste into squares and coat
with sugar.  Pack into boxes, seperating the layers with sheet of waxed paper
or parchment, and store in a dry place.

Rather than spreading the paste out onto a cookie sheet, I pack it into
little wooden or plastic boxes which I have very lightly oiled and sugared.
This makes a nicer presentation, I think.

Hope this helps.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(who just got an answer to the question "is cotignac period?")

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.