SC - Green soup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Apr 2 19:51:03 PDT 2000

Hank wrote:

> Can you tell me the origin of this soup? and the period?
>
> Muirghen

The closest thing I can find in "Pleyn Delit" is the second pottage
recipe, for Joutes of Almond Milk, taken from the Forme of Cury, late
14th-century English. I was mystified by, among other things, the lack
of almonds, and the presence of arrowroot, which I thought was a New
World food.

It occurred to me, though, that this looks a bit like a recipe that may
have been altered slightly either for tolerance by allergy sufferers or
people with religious dietary restrictions, and I believe Lady Phillipa,
who kindly posted the recipe, falls into both categories.

Lady Phillipa, does this recipe come from your personal files, or is it
just that I skimmed too quickly through Pleyn Delit? Or that I looked in
the wrong edition? ;  )

Adamantius