SC - molasses (longish)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 3 09:19:04 PDT 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> What you call molasses is termed "blackstrap" or "blackstrap molasses" in
> the US.  While it can be purchased for cooking, most blackstrap goes into
> industrial alcohol and cattle feed.

The comedian Alan King once wrote a passage on his wife's interest in
health foods and her desire to improve _his_ diet, and it includes a bit
of specious logic to the effect that blackstrap molasses is what sugar
refiners have left after processing white sugar, and that since what is
left after fully refining sugar is dirt, he wasn't interested in eating
it. Specious or not, it's stuck in my mind for what, more than 25 years?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com