SC - Is Arrowroot Period?

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Mon Apr 3 09:30:39 PDT 2000

Muirghen asked:

If I may be so bold as to pose this question a little differently, why is
arrowroot not period even if its source is the new world.  Trading with the
"new world" dates to as early as 400 - 500 AD (Irish) 1065 (Norse) and 1500
(Spanish) all of which are period.  We know that the Norse traded European
foods to the natives, it made them sick! So why not the reverse?  I am a
"new cook" but if we really mean by "period" European, then we should say
so.
____________________________

What most people mean by period, is an item that can be proven with sources
to be with in the SCA stated period.  So when someone asks if something is
"period" it may have been around in a number of areas, but unless it has
been document ably used in "period" Europe it can not be proven as to have
been "period" as in terms to the list.  The reason we do not differentiate
is because of the fact that this is a mostly SCA-member list and we try and
generally follow the guidelines set by the SCA as to what is "period" and
not.

So, even though there has been trading, there is no proof as to what was
traded so then we do not know that it was brought from the New World to SCA
covered areas.  Does that make sense??

Murkial