SC - Anzac Day

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon Apr 3 17:19:04 PDT 2000

Beat you!

Anzac Biscuits:
makes: about 50  preparation time: 10 mins cooking 22-25 mins each batch
1.25 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain flour (sifted)
.75 cup desiccated coconut
.75 cup (firmly packed) brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
125g butter, cubed
.25 cup water
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarb soda

1. Preheat oven to 150C. Grease baking tray.
2. Combine rolled oats, flour, dessicated coconut, sugar and cinnamon in a
medium bowl, and mix well
3. Combine the butter, water and golden syrup in a small saucepan. Place
over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts. Remove from
the heat and stir in the bicarb soda [this tends to froth up fairly
violently]. Add immediately to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden
spoon .
4. Roll walnut-size portions of mixture into balls and place on the tray
about 5cm apart (biscuits spread during cooking). Flatten eah ball slightly
and bake for approx 22-25 mins or until cooked through and beginning to
darken around the edges.
5. Set aside for 2-3 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Naturally, they're not eaten ONLY on ANZAC day. My kids eat a couple each
for recess at school every day (commercially bought ones, though - don't
have the time to make them every day (or the room for a husband that eats
the home-made ones in double-quick time)

Glenda.